Sunday, March 13, 2005

knowing you

I just called
To check the facts
Get an accurate reading
Put my finger on the pulse
And find out exactly how fast
A heart can race
When there is
The possibility of you
On the other end.

_____________________________

You smell like August
and its crushing weight
is a velvet curtain
enveloping me,
I struggle to breathe
While summer rises like steam
from off your brown skin.

_____________________________

I wish I knew more about the weather.

I would speak casually
of cloud formations and low pressure areas,
murmur with concern over the Pacific storm patterns,
and remind you to take your umbrella with you today
because of the slight chance of rain.

The clouds grow dark and scowl
at me through our kitchen window.

I say nothing as you walk out that door.

I just wish I knew more about you.

_____________________________

No comments: